Are you ready to embark on unforgettable family adventures? Buckle up and get ready as we unlock the secrets to memorable family getaways. Family travel is a source of joy and bonding and an opportunity to explore new horizons and create lifelong memories. So, whether you’re a seasoned family traveler or just starting to plan your next adventure, keep reading as Travel Maestro reveals current family travel trends and insightful tips that will make your family vacations truly extraordinary!
Multigenerational Family Travel
In 2023, the trend of multi-generational travel is taking the family vacation experience to new heights. Imagine the wisdom shared by grandparents, the youthful energy of the parents, and the wonderment of the little ones all blending together in a perfect harmony of adventure. Multi-generational travel offers a plethora of benefits, from strengthening family bonds to creating cherished memories across different generations.
An AARP survey found that 85 percent of seniors rank travel in their top three priorities for discretionary spending and that family trips are their number one motivator. Expedia Group says that families with Gen Alphas (born from 2010 onward) take at least three family trips per year and the kids heavily influence family travel decisions. Resonance consulting firm reported that 62% of Millennial parents are traveling with children younger than five years old. While rising costs are always a consideration, family travel continues to grow in 2023, even in the face of rising prices. This is evidence that travelers feel that the bonding experience is more important than the expense.
In 2023, families gravitate toward activities that allow them to immerse themselves into the destination’s culture and customs. Along with being educational for the whole family, adding experiential elements to a vacation sets up opportunities for creating memorable moments that can be relived long after the trip ends.
Cooking classes or learning a hula lesson are particularly fun ways to engage kids in local traditions. Outdoor adventure activities such as hiking, kayaking, cycling, and ziplining earn family travelers bragging rights that are likely to resurface for years. Participating in a volunteer program is another way families gain meaningful insight and engagement with the local way of life. Travel Maestro tip: For an epic experience for all ages, look no further than a Galapagos Islands Expedition Cruise on a guided group vacation with Adventures by Disney.
In today’s world, there is a growing interest in sustainable and responsible travel practices. This extends to family travel trends as well. In 2023, more families are seeking eco-friendly destinations and accommodations. This allows them to align travel with their values of preserving the environment and supporting local communities. From eco-lodges nestled in pristine natural settings to destinations with robust recycling and conservation efforts, there are numerous opportunities for families who wish to minimize their ecological footprint while enjoying their travel experiences.
It’s essential to instill responsible travel habits in children from a young age. Engage in activities and conversations that teach kids about the importance of people, place, and planet. This includes reducing waste, conserving resources, respecting local cultures, and supporting sustainable tourism initiatives. By fostering a sense of environmental stewardship and cultural appreciation, families can not only have fulfilling vacations but also contribute to the preservation of our planet for future generations. Travel Maestro tip: Consider travel providers that prioritize sustainability and practice it in their business. Intrepid Travel is a B Corp company that incorporates responsible tourism into wildlife experiences, cultural engagement, and community projects.
Tips for Togetherness
Successful family vacations don’t happen by chance. They take some planning, so a great vacation advisor vastly increases your odds of having a successful trip. By following these tips, you can ensure that everyone in your multi-generational travel group has a fantastic time and creates memories that will be cherished for years to come.
- Involve Everyone in the Planning Process: Encourage input from each generation involved in the trip. Consider everyone’s interests, preferences, and limitations to create an itinerary that caters to everyone’s needs.
- Choose a Destination with Something for Everyone: An obvious tip is try to please everyone. One family travel trend is choosing destinations that offer a diverse range of activities and attractions suitable for different age groups. This ensures that each family member can find something enjoyable and memorable.
- Allocate Personal Space: While spending time together is important, it’s equally crucial to provide personal space for each generation. Choose accommodations that offer separate rooms or rental properties with multiple living areas, allowing everyone to unwind and have privacy.
- Flexibility is Key: Understand that each generation may have different energy levels, schedules, and preferences. Be flexible with the itinerary and allow for downtime or individual activities to accommodate everyone’s needs.
- Consider Accessibility: Take into account any mobility or accessibility issues within the group. Ensure that the chosen destination and accommodations can accommodate those with special requirements.
- Plan Activities for Group Bonding: Organize activities that promote interaction and bonding among family members. This could include game nights, cooking sessions, or group excursions where everyone can participate and create lasting memories together.
- Communication is Essential: Establish clear channels of communication among family members during the trip. This ensures that everyone stays informed about the daily plans, meeting points, and any changes or adjustments to the schedule.
- Be Mindful of Budgets: Discuss budget expectations with each family member beforehand to avoid any financial surprises. Set realistic expectations and consider options that fit within everyone’s financial means.
- Pack Essentials for Every Generation: Remember that each generation has different packing essentials. Consider medication, entertainment items, comfort items, and age-appropriate gear.
- Create Flexibility in Dining Options: When it comes to meals, consider diverse dining options that cater to different tastes and dietary restrictions. This might involve trying local cuisine, exploring various restaurants, or preparing meals together.
When you are ready to plan your vacation, contact the experienced advisors at Covington who stay up to date on all the latest family travel trends. By listening to the unique needs of your family and sharing creative ways to engage each person’s interests, we help ensure that every member of the family has an incredible time. So, get ready to embark on an unforgettable journey, where the magic of togetherness awaits!