If you travel internationally, either regularly or only occasionally, Trip Lingo is a must-have travel app. The award-winning platform provides travelers tools to deal with language, culture and other barriers abroad with ease and assurance. In addition to being a brilliant resource to an individual traveler, Trip Lingo supports enterprise travel management through cost reduction, upholding Duty of Care obligations and ultimately keeping travelers safe, productive and savvy during international trips.
Trip Lingo Key Features for the Traveler
Trip Lingo’s leading-edge mobile technology is a personalized travel tool. Key features fall into three main categories: Local Phrases & Translation, Essential Learning Tools and Culture & Travel Tools.
Local Phrases & Translation:
- 2,000 phrases per language – Talk like a local by learning common phrases organized by category, in four different versions: formal, casual, slang and crazy. You can hear the phrase in normal speaking speed or slowed down to learn pronunciation. It also provides phonetic spelling and contextual explanations.
- Voice to Voice translation – Users have unlimited access to reciprocal voice translations in 19 languages. Just speak into the translator and it returns the phrase in the language requested.
- Live human translation – When the right words matter, you can gain access to a live translator in less than 30 seconds with the tap of a button (uses data connection). Translators are available in 180 languages.
Essential Learning Tools:
- Audio lessons – Learn by listening to essential phrases in 10 different categories.
- Intelligent flashcards – Learn words and phrases with flashcards that automatically change order based on your mastery.
- Quiz mode – Test your knowledge with fully customizable quizzes.
Culture & Travel Tools:
- Culture crash course – Quickly learn local etiquette and customs in eight categories such as business dining, negotiation and punctuality.
- Tip Calculator & Currency Converter – Travel smart and never overpay with country- and situation-specific tools.
- Wi-Fi dialer – Avoid costly roaming charges when calling any U.S. phone number (requires Wi-Fi or data connection).
- Safety section – Have peace of mind with essential phone numbers and safety phrases at your fingertips.
Trip Lingo Benefits for the Company
While Trip Lingo is an invaluable asset to individual travelers, it also offers both real cost avoidance and intangible savings to the traveler’s company. From the enterprise perspective, it increases employee’s international competence and satisfaction, and addresses their own Duty of Care obligations.
See a short video here.
Hard Dollar Savings & Cost Avoidance:
- In the case of illness, there are costs associated with time off or traveler distress. Trip Lingo’s food allergy phrases, live translator and local emergency phone numbers can preempt some emergency medical costs.
- Roaming charges can be a hefty expense. Trip Lingo’s free Wi-Fi Dialer is estimated to save an average of $108.90 per trip. (Source: Trip Lingo)
- Inflated meal tipping is a common, yet avoidable expense – especially for Americans abroad. Trip Lingo’s tip calculator provides situational recommendations for appropriate tipping.
- Time spent unsuccessfully communicating with a taxi driver or server is lost productivity, the cost of which is directly related to the traveler’s salary. Trip Lingo translation tools make sure communication is a breeze.
- Better traveler support makes happier employees and aids in retention.
- Improved cultural awareness leads to better sales relationships and fewer embarrassing faux pas.
- Enhanced rapport with colleagues and customers yields stronger employee relationships and higher trust levels with business prospects.
- Reducing culture shock in travelers increases their effectiveness and lowers their stress.
Enterprise accounts get a customized application – their travelers see the company logo, branding, travel policy and safety numbers on a personalized travel tool. It is also integrated with iSOS, iJet or other security programs the company uses. Training and guidance materials are provided, as are monthly usage and analytics reports.
Business Insider called Trip Lingo “One of the 11 Groundbreaking Inventions of 2011,” and Global Business Travel Association (GBTA) awarded it “2012 Business Travel Innovation of the Year.” By 2014 Trip Lingo garnered over 300,000 downloads and the customer ratings remain exceptional.
Trip Lingo is the rare app that helps both the international traveler and the companies for which they work make the most of international travel. To set up a corporate Trip Lingo account, contact our helpful Business Travel Services division.