European River Cruising has earned its rightful place in the hearts of sophisticated vacationers. Likewise, foodies and wine lovers understand that a seat at the local table offers much more than sustenance – it’s a window into the traditions and the very essence of a culture. AmaWaterways has combined the best of both pursuits in a wonderful selection of European Wine Cruises.
Like standard river cruises, guests can join tours of famous sights in each port of call, but they also have the opportunity to literally taste the region with wine-related excursions and immersive experiences. You’ll discover how wine is made, participate in wine tastings, and enjoy local cuisine – all at no additional cost. AmaWaterways Wine Cruises uncork the traditions of the area you’re visiting to add another layer of enjoyment and understanding to your river cruise.
Delicious food and wine is a hallmark of many cruises, but an AmaWaterways Wine Cruise offers epicurean experiences both onboard and ashore. On the ship, a wine expert will lead you through wine tastings, exploring the effects of regional appellations, climate, and terroir. The locally sourced award-winning cuisine is also paired with hand-selected, premium wines with different choices presented daily.
Off the ship, special excursions are designed to highlight the rich wine history and culture of Europe. Exclusive access to private cellars, celebrated wineries, and picturesque vineyards are arranged for wine cruise guests. You’ll enjoy more tastings and pairings in these stunning locations, in addition to discovering the scenic sights and historical landmarks of the area.
Each Wine Cruise is hosted by a qualified wine expert. He or she hand-selects the wines that are served at meals and tastings. They recommend pairings, lead wine discussions, and provide insight into all things wine-related.
AmaWaterways European Wine Cruises
AmaWaterways’ array of Wine Cruises is not a casual testing of the waters – it’s a well-developed and dedicated program of wine exploration. Indulge in one of more than 60 exclusive “Celebration of Wine River Cruises” through Europe’s most celebrated wine regions:
- The Garonne – In southwestern France, the Garonne and Dordogne rivers merge together to form the Gironde Estuary that naturally divides the famous Bordeaux region into Left and Right banks.
- The Seine – Begin in Paris and cruise into the lush countryside of Normany to sample some of Frances’s renowned Champagnes and cider brandy called Calvados.
- The Rhone – Running from the Swiss Alps through France to the Mediterranean, the Rhone is divided into the Northern and Southern parts, connecting thousands of vineyards through the prized Rhone Valley.
- The Douro – Over centuries winegrowers of northern Portugal tenaciously proved that the steep rocky terrain is indeed ideal for grapes and thus created the famous Ports of the region.
- The Danube – Touching 10 countries on its journey from Germany to the Black Sea, the hillsides of the romantic Danube are home to some of the most celebrated wines and scenic vistas of central Europe.
- The Moselle, Main, and Rhine – Find a variety of quality German wines, historic villages, and ancient castles on the rivers from Nuremberg to Luxembourg.
- The Rhine – Grape growing traditions dating back to Roman times yield some of Germany’s best wines. The storybook castles along the river only add to the enchanting history of the region.
AmaWaterways Wine Cruises are seven days in length, and many offer three-night pre- or post-cruise hotel packages to extend your vacation exploration. If you’re a wine enthusiast interested in learning, tasting, and meeting like-minded aficionados in a comfortably intimate setting, this is your vacation!
To check dates and rates, contact Covington Travel’s River Cruise Specialists today.
* Disclaimer: Covington Travel is pleased to recognize AmaWaterways as a valued partner and sponsor of this blog post.
Leave a Reply