Only occasionally do we get the opportunity to merge the joy of beholding nature’s botanical creations with the adventure of cultural travel and the responsibility of addressing global challenges. But as one of the world’s most important horticultural shows, that is exactly what Floriade Expo 2022 offers. Visitors will enjoy an amazing array of flowers, plants, vegetables, and fruits, presentations from around the world, and innovations that will help us live greener.
The History of Floriade
The International Horticultural Exhibition Floriade is a garden-themed world Expo coordinated by the Dutch Horticultural Council. It is held in a different location in the Netherlands every 10 years. The first Floriade Expo was in Rotterdam in 1960. The next two happened in Amsterdam in 1972 and 1982, then Zoetermeer, Haarlemmermeer, and Venlo won the honor over the next three decades.
The seventh edition of the international exhibition and garden festival is Floriade Expo 2022 Almere, held just minutes outside Amsterdam. It will open daily from April 14 to October 9, 2022.
Floriade Expo 2022 Theme: Growing Green Cities
This international event is more than just a massive garden show. Each edition is built around a theme and Floriade 2022 is Growing Green Cities. Urban density continues to increase as people migrate from outlying areas into cities. It’s estimated that by 2050, 68% to 70% of the global population will live in cities that cover only 2% of the earth’s surface. This creates a strain on resources and the need to develop green and sustainable solutions.
When the Floriade Expo 2022 ends, the area will become the newest suburb of Almere. It will be a green living area called Hortus, a real city where green ideas are tested and refined.
Everything at the Expo inspires living a healthier, greener lifestyle. It offers real solutions to real problems. Throughout the Expo four sub-themes celebrate green and sustainable technology:
- Greening the City – Green cities are livable cities, so the lesson is to add more greenery. Every species cataloged in the Arboretum has a role to play in cities of the future. Floriade Almere is it’s own ecosystem and they are developing a biodegradable concrete.
- Feeding the City – Cities need sustainable methods of food production. The countryside can’t continue supplying enough. Solutions in experimental, urban, and sustainable agriculture are showcased, as well as artificially produced food and nutrition. Think edible algae and food-producing fridges.
- Healthying the City – In order for the population to feel healthy and actively participate in society, they need clean air, water, and soil. Floriade Almere purifies it’s own waste and has roofs that retain water. Presenters highlight ways to stay in shape physically and mentally.
- Energizing the City – Expanding populations in the cities of the future must have sustainable energy solutions. Floriade 2022 produces it’s own energy and shows inventions for generating, storing, and saving energy, for example, city lights produced by florescent plants and insects.
What You Can See and Do at Floriade Expo 2022
Stroll Floriade Gardens and Pavilions
The exhibition site in Almere encompasses over 60 hectares (148 acres). As the Dutch have been doing for 2,000 years, they built the grounds on polders, or land reclaimed from the sea. Floriade 2022 hosts hundreds of inspiring gardens in a patchwork of botanical beauty. National pavilions showcase not only plants and flowers, but local culture and innovations from 40 different countries.
Ride the Aerial Cable Car
To enjoy a stunning ride above the Floriade park, take the cable car between the southern and northern points of the grounds. The 850-meter (929 yards) long aerial link provides a bird’s eye view across the expanse of gardens. The cable car runs in either direction and your daily ticket includes a one-way ride.
Visit the Arboretum and Greenhouse Complex
One feature of Floriade 2022 that delights all nature lovers is the Arboretum. It is an enormous, one-of-a-kind walk-through encyclopedia of living trees, plants, and flowers. The plants are arranged alphabetically by their botanical names, so you “look up” vegetation by walking to a live specimen.
Walk the Perimeter on Circular Bridges
Two green bridges for pedestrians and cyclists are part of the infrastructure for the new urban district, Hortus. The winning design used partnerships involving stakeholders in the construction, optimizing the (re)use of material and natural resources.
Learn and Grow at Floriade 2022
This Floriade is not only about admiring horticulture but also about learning how it is used for greener living. Taste local products and healthy snacks at restaurants, food trucks, and surprising tasting sessions. Experience rich cultural programming from participating countries, including a wide range of live music and art, and educational workshops and exhibitions.
Floriade 2022 Tours
Tickets valid for a day visit to Floriade from April 14 to October 9, 2022 will be on sale in Fall of 2021. Adult tickets will cost from € 29 to € 35 per day including a single ride in the cable car. Children ages 4 to 12 years will cost from € 19 to € 23 per day including a single ride on the cable car. Prices vary based on the season of your visit. Seasonal dates will be announced when tickets go on sale.
Several of our trusted tour operator partners will offer escorted tours during summer 2022 that include Floriade.
- Collette has a 9-day tour that includes London and the Chelsea Flower Show before taking the Eurostar high-speed train to Amsterdam and Floriade 2022.
- Trafalgar has three escorted itineraries: 6-day Amsterdam Explorer, 7-day Best of Holland from Amsterdam to Groningen, and 10-day Best of Holland, Belgium, and Luxembourg that includes five cities.
- If river cruising is your style, Tauck offers four 8- to 15-day itineraries that include a full day at Floriade 2022.
Plan your summer visit to Floriade 2022 now. Contact our expert vacation advisors to take care of all the details.