Did you ever wonder how you would fill six days at sea on a transatlantic crossing?Â With a rich heritage of nearly two centuries of luxury ocean voyages, Cunard Line knows how to keep you happy and indeed, wishing it was longer! Cunardâ€™s flagship, Queen Mary 2, embodies the classic traditions of The Golden Age of Ocean Travel while offering a seemingly endless array of activities for contemporary interests.
Cunard has put together this list of â€ś101 Things to Do,â€ť which I am pleased to share in two installments. This post covers Leisurely Pursuits, Cultural Affairs, Thoroughly British Moments and Fine Dining & Divine Wining. Please come back for part 2 which will list Fitness Fare, Cordially Yours, Show Stoppers and Lifeâ€™s Simpler Pleasures, but for now, imagine how you can enjoy just the first half of the list during a luxurious crossing on the QM2.
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Leisurely Pursuits
- Relax in the soaring Grand Lobby and enjoy the angelic melodies of the harpist.
- Take a watercolor class and paint your own impressions of The Crossing.
- Play duplicate bridge in the Atlantic Room.
- Be forward looking. From the Sports Deck, head to The Lookout â€” an observation platform with endless views off the bow.
- Log on to the Internet. Stay in touch with the outside world using your cell phone.
- Take a â€śFinding Your Voiceâ€ť or â€śFilling the Spaceâ€ť acting course with RADA.
- Invite new friends over for a cocktail party with canapĂ©s in your stateroom.
- Learn more bridge conventions from an ACBL Certified Master Instructor.
- Spend a lazy afternoon with a recently released film in Illuminations.
- Hit or stand your hand at the Blackjack Tournament in the Empire Casino.
- Capture memories on your digital camera and have them printed in the onboard photo lab.
- Renew your wedding vows and enjoy a ceremony conducted by the Captain.
- Brush up on your Excel spreadsheet skills at a computer learning class in ConneXions.
- Sit in on a reading by mystery author P. D. James followed by a book signing.
- Have a body composition analysis with experts in the Fitness Centre.
- Be inspired to start your own epic tome at a workshop with a published novelist.
- Strap yourself into your seat and enjoy a virtual ride through space in Illuminations â€” the only Planetarium at sea!
- Head to Deck 2 to begin a Cunard history lesson with the Maritime Quest Exhibit. The 10 historical â€śpathwaysâ€ť located throughout the ship include A Great History, On the Bridge, Stars Aboard and more.
- Attend a lecture about Beethovenâ€™s Fidelio and find out why it was his only opera.
- Enjoy the classic works of great 20th century masters such as Dali, Chagall, Erte and Picasso in the Art Gallery.
- Take the third and final RADA workshop, â€śSpeaking the Speech.â€ť Youâ€™ll learn to perform a Shakespeare monologue or poem â€” and get a special certificate of completion.
- Listen to a dramatic reading of The Old Man and the Sea in Illuminations.
- Shiver me timbers! Sit in on a lecture about piracy with English diplomacy expert, Vincent Strudwick.
- Brush up on your French, Russian, Spanish, or even Mandarin. Parlez vous chinois?
Â Â Â
Thoroughly British Moments
Donâ€™t miss Afternoon Tea in the Queens Room, complete with scones, fresh cream, strawberry jam and white-gloved servers.
- Toast your good fortune to be here over a pint or two at the Golden Lion Pub.
- Get a deck quoits lesson from that nice English couple you met at breakfast.
- Savor fork-tender roast beef at The Carvery â€” a true English speciality!
- Watch actors from RADA perform scenes from your favorite Shakespeare plays.
- Play a round of golf at the one that started it all, St. Andrews, on the golf simulator.
- What does it feel like to be royalty? Dress to the nines for the sophisticated Ascot Ball and experience it for yourself.
Â Â Â Â Â Â
Fine Dining & Divine Wining
- Welcome the morning with a cappuccino and pastry at Sir Samuelâ€™s.
- Enjoy a jolly-good pub lunch â€” perhaps fish & chips? â€” at the Golden Lion Pub.
- Live la dolce vita with Spaghetti Puttanesca and other Italian specialties in La Piazza.
- Sample the Pan Roasted Turbot Fillet at the trendy Todd English restaurant or try the extraordinary tapas.
- Indulge in five courses including snow crab soup, duck spring rolls and more at Lotus.
- Watch the bubbles rise in your Waterford flute at Veuve Clicquot Champagne Bar.
- Join the chief sommelier to sample sangiovese, dolcetto and other varietals as you taste your way across Northern Italy.
- Hone your culinary skills at a cooking demo and feast in the Chefâ€™s Galley.
- Start the day in a sinfully decadent way with a baked waffle, maple syrup and whipped cream in Kings Court.
- Counting calories? Try the Canyon Ranch SpaClub selections, available at every meal.
- Burger lovers rejoice. Follow the crowd to the Boardwalk CafĂ©.
- Mais oui! Celebrate with a bottle of Chateau Lafite Rothschild from the largest wine cellar at sea.
- Is that the sound of a trolley? Why yes, itâ€™s Afternoon Tea on the Promenade Deck!
- Fall in love with the signature truffle Love Letters appetizer in Todd English.
- Order in from room service â€” after all, itâ€™s available 24 hours a day!
- Choose from the cheese trolley and enjoy some vintage ruby port at Sir Samuelâ€™s.
What a list – and this is just the first half! Check Part 2 for activities in Fitness Fare, Cordially Yours, Show Stoppers and Lifeâ€™s Simpler Pleasures, and let Covingtonâ€™s cruise experts make your dreams of a grand ocean voyage come true.