Did you ever wonder how you would fill six days at sea on a transatlantic crossing? With a rich heritage of nearly two centuries of luxury ocean voyages, Cunard Line knows how to keep you happy and indeed, wishing it was longer! Cunard’s flagship, Queen Mary 2, embodies the classic traditions of The Golden Age of Ocean Travel while offering a seemingly endless array of activities for contemporary interests.
Cunard has put together this list of “101 Things to Do,” which I am pleased to share in two installments. This post covers Leisurely Pursuits, Cultural Affairs, Thoroughly British Moments and Fine Dining & Divine Wining. Please come back for part 2 which will list Fitness Fare, Cordially Yours, Show Stoppers and Life’s Simpler Pleasures, but for now, imagine how you can enjoy just the first half of the list during a luxurious crossing on the QM2.
- Relax in the soaring Grand Lobby and enjoy the angelic melodies of the harpist.
- Take a watercolor class and paint your own impressions of The Crossing.
- Play duplicate bridge in the Atlantic Room.
- Be forward looking. From the Sports Deck, head to The Lookout — an observation platform with endless views off the bow.
- Log on to the Internet. Stay in touch with the outside world using your cell phone.
- Take a “Finding Your Voice” or “Filling the Space” acting course with RADA.
- Invite new friends over for a cocktail party with canapés in your stateroom.
- Learn more bridge conventions from an ACBL Certified Master Instructor.
- Spend a lazy afternoon with a recently released film in Illuminations.
- Hit or stand your hand at the Blackjack Tournament in the Empire Casino.
- Capture memories on your digital camera and have them printed in the onboard photo lab.
- Renew your wedding vows and enjoy a ceremony conducted by the Captain.
- Brush up on your Excel spreadsheet skills at a computer learning class in ConneXions.
- Sit in on a reading by mystery author P. D. James followed by a book signing.
- Have a body composition analysis with experts in the Fitness Centre.
- Be inspired to start your own epic tome at a workshop with a published novelist.
- Strap yourself into your seat and enjoy a virtual ride through space in Illuminations — the only Planetarium at sea!
- Head to Deck 2 to begin a Cunard history lesson with the Maritime Quest Exhibit. The 10 historical “pathways” located throughout the ship include A Great History, On the Bridge, Stars Aboard and more.
- Attend a lecture about Beethoven’s Fidelio and find out why it was his only opera.
- Enjoy the classic works of great 20th century masters such as Dali, Chagall, Erte and Picasso in the Art Gallery.
- Take the third and final RADA workshop, “Speaking the Speech.” You’ll learn to perform a Shakespeare monologue or poem — and get a special certificate of completion.
- Listen to a dramatic reading of The Old Man and the Sea in Illuminations.
- Shiver me timbers! Sit in on a lecture about piracy with English diplomacy expert, Vincent Strudwick.
- Brush up on your French, Russian, Spanish, or even Mandarin. Parlez vous chinois?
Thoroughly British Moments
Don’t miss Afternoon Tea in the Queens Room, complete with scones, fresh cream, strawberry jam and white-gloved servers.
- Toast your good fortune to be here over a pint or two at the Golden Lion Pub.
- Get a deck quoits lesson from that nice English couple you met at breakfast.
- Savor fork-tender roast beef at The Carvery — a true English speciality!
- Watch actors from RADA perform scenes from your favorite Shakespeare plays.
- Play a round of golf at the one that started it all, St. Andrews, on the golf simulator.
- What does it feel like to be royalty? Dress to the nines for the sophisticated Ascot Ball and experience it for yourself.
Fine Dining & Divine Wining
- Welcome the morning with a cappuccino and pastry at Sir Samuel’s.
- Enjoy a jolly-good pub lunch — perhaps fish & chips? — at the Golden Lion Pub.
- Live la dolce vita with Spaghetti Puttanesca and other Italian specialties in La Piazza.
- Sample the Pan Roasted Turbot Fillet at the trendy Todd English restaurant or try the extraordinary tapas.
- Indulge in five courses including snow crab soup, duck spring rolls and more at Lotus.
- Watch the bubbles rise in your Waterford flute at Veuve Clicquot Champagne Bar.
- Join the chief sommelier to sample sangiovese, dolcetto and other varietals as you taste your way across Northern Italy.
- Hone your culinary skills at a cooking demo and feast in the Chef’s Galley.
- Start the day in a sinfully decadent way with a baked waffle, maple syrup and whipped cream in Kings Court.
- Counting calories? Try the Canyon Ranch SpaClub selections, available at every meal.
- Burger lovers rejoice. Follow the crowd to the Boardwalk Café.
- Mais oui! Celebrate with a bottle of Chateau Lafite Rothschild from the largest wine cellar at sea.
- Is that the sound of a trolley? Why yes, it’s Afternoon Tea on the Promenade Deck!
- Fall in love with the signature truffle Love Letters appetizer in Todd English.
- Order in from room service — after all, it’s available 24 hours a day!
- Choose from the cheese trolley and enjoy some vintage ruby port at Sir Samuel’s.
What a list – and this is just the first half! Check Part 2 for activities in Fitness Fare, Cordially Yours, Show Stoppers and Life’s Simpler Pleasures, and let Covington’s cruise experts make your dreams of a grand ocean voyage come true.
Share and Enjoy